Combat Mobile Phone Port-Out Scams
Fraudsters are impersonating mobile phone users to have phones transferred to a different carrier – effectively stealing the users’ mobile phone number. This is being coined as a port-out scam. Once transferred to a different carrier, the fraudster receives all calls and texts that were intended for the user – including those that can be used to takeover a member’s account via online banking. Fraudsters have successfully intercepted one-time passcodes used to authenticate members logging into their account or to initiate transactions within online banking.
Essential and the Credit Union National Association recommend placing a “port validation password” on your mobile phone account to help prevent having your phone fraudulently transferred to a different carrier. Contact your provider for more information about adding this extra security to your account.
Safety and Security
Bank online with complete confidence that your information is protected.
- Safe. We work hard to help ensure your account stays secure.
- Committed. We are committed to safety and security to ensure you receive the convenience of online banking services with peace of mind.
- We use firewall systems and intrusion detection software to prohibit unauthorized access to our systems.
- We protect the confidentiality of your data by encrypting sensitive information with 128-bit Secure Socket Layer (SSL). This helps ensure that sensitive information can only be viewed by you and Essential FCU.
- We build information security right into our systems and networks using internationally recognized security standards, regulations, and industry-based best practices.
- We employ strong authentication controls following guidance provided to us by the Federal Government's banking regulators.
- We require our employees to take information security awareness training and to apply this training to their job every day.
- Never share your user name, password, or security questions with anyone, and beware of suspicious e-mails or unsolicited phone calls asking for this information.
- Your login credentials are the keys you use to access your account information on our system. Do not write down or share your credentials with anyone.
- Follow the password instructions that are presented when you create a new password. That way no one else will be able to guess your password.
- When you have been performing any transaction online, make sure that you use the Log Out button when you are finished. Then close your browser completely. This ensures that no one who uses the computer after you can see your information.
- Install and regularly update anti-virus and anti-spyware software. Perform frequent scans of your computer. Protect your computer with a firewall.
Set up alerts to protect against unauthorized transactions
Free Essential FCU eAlerts let you stay informed by e-mail or text message when activity occurs on your account. Plus, we will send security alerts automatically when important changes occur in Online Banking. Learn more about eAlerts.
Report Suspicious E-mail (Phishing)
Visit our Alerts page for the most recent Security Alerts